Can component and patient factors account for the variance in wear rates among bilateral total hip arthroplasty patients?
Karl F. Orishimo, MS
Christi J. Sychterz, MSE
Robert H. Hopper Jr, PhD
Charles A. Engh, MD
J Arthoplasty, March 2003 Volume 18 Number 2 .
ABSTRACT: The purpose of this study was to indirectly quantify the effect of patient and component factors on polyethylene wear in patients with bilateral hip arthroplasties. Assuming that both hips experience similar levels of activity, the confounding influence of activity on wear can be removed by comparing wear rates within subjects. We studied temporal wear patterns in 21 patients with bilateral hip arthroplasty with a mean follow-up of 102 months. Each patient had matching acetabular cup and femoral head components implanted in both hips. Regression analyses were used to assess the variation in wear rates between the first and second implanted hips. The r2 value demonstrated that matched components and patient factors accounted for 61% of the variance in wear rates. The remaining 39% of the variance, which is unaccounted for, indicates that factors other than those related to the components and patient also play a role.
This research was funded, in part, by Inova Health Care Services, Virginia.
Copyright 2003, Elsevier Science (USA). All rights reserved.